Monday, March 3, 2008

Suicide: Oblivion Is Just Fine With Me

I am one who believes the brain is one's soul. From past experience and exposure, if the brain is gone, the person is gone. Consciousness, and one's own self-awareness of existence and perception is unique to each individual, but it is completely dependent on the brain. There are so many people out there who believe that this life is not enough; there has to be something more to just being a living being. I do not believe in any of the fairytale religions out there. I do not believe in any heaven or hell. Yes, I think the universe is amazing. I believe there is a higher order to just the individual, which to me is the survival of a species. When people struggle and have nothing, it is nice to believe that there is something to reward them and give them comfort in some fairytale god or gods. There are many people who do great in life and overcome obstacles who attribute their successes and health to a higher being.


Matter cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be broken down to fertilizer and ash. We are all made up of the elements in the universe. We are created from the matter left over from the breakdown of stars. I had no conscious recollection of existence prior to my birth or even in my younger years, and I will have no conscious recollection of anything after my death. I simply will not exist as a living being, just a memory of those who have come across my path in life. I will survive only as a memory that will fade away as the people who knew me like my family will pass on. I may be a statistic or a brief mention in an article one day. To me death will be like those times one sleeps with no dreams, when one drinks too much and loses consciousness and similar circumstances. One can not describe nothingness/oblivion. I am gone. No pain, no consciousness, just nothing. Hard to put this into words. When I am dead, there will be no pain, no consciousness, and no afterlife. Just nothing. Nothing. That doesn't sound bad to me at all.

No comments: